Thursday, August 11, 2016

UM Language Pack Adventures

Hi folks,

I would love to share with you about my recent adventure. I had to install 3 Exchange 2010 UM servers. Installation appeared to finish fine. However when I started installation of UM language packs I was presented with the following error:

As troubleshooting I started checking Exchange installation log that is created during installation (ExchangeSetup) and I found the following entry:

Further digging in the ExchangeSetup.log lead me to the following error entries:

[08/11/2016 14:31:36.0326] [2] [ERROR] Unexpected Error
[08/11/2016 14:31:36.0326] [2] [ERROR] Service 'MSExchangeADTopology' failed to reach status 'Running' on this server.

So it appears that AD topology service failed to start at the installation and therefore failed to register UM role in the AD. Interestingly enough all the UM-related services were running.

To resolve this problem I re-ran Exchange 2010 installation program.

After instillation successfully completed I kicked off installation of language pack. This time I wasn't faced by any errors and was able to proceed with the installation.

When checking installation log I saw that setup program was able to read UM role from the AD.

Finally, when checking registry (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v14\UnifiedMessagingRole\LanguagePacks) for language pack I was able to see that in addition to the default en-US my language pack was also installed):

I hope you will find it useful.